Wednesday, May 6, 2009


Well, Payton is one week old and already we're having some excitement in our house! Kevin started his externship (AHEC) this week and shortly before he came home today, Alexa had been playing on/near the coffee table. We're not sure if she rolled off or just lost her footing next to the table, but the next thing my mom and I knew, she was crying on the floor. Now, we've had our fair share of bumps and bruises and normally, Alexa is over and done with the trauma within seconds. That wasn't the case this time. 45 minutes after it happened, when Kevin finally arrived home, Alexa was STILL crying and complaining about her left arm. She had let both my mom and I touch it and move it but she wouldn't move it herself. This wasn't like her at all. So...after several attempts to contact friends in the ward who might know how to help us, and other friends for advice...we finally decided to take her to the Kosair Children's Express at Norton Suburban Hospital. And because I'm nursing, I couldn't leave a 1 week old at home with my mom, so we all packed up and headed to the ER....and proceeded to spend the rest of the evening there. After having Alexa's arm manipulated once by the ER pediatrician, sent for x-rays, and manipulated a second time by the doctor...I was done. I just sat in the hallway outside the x-ray room and cried while Alexa screamed and then I cried like a baby again while the doctor looked at her arm the 2nd time. My little girl was hurting and I could do nothing about it.
Thankfully though, nothing was broken but they said it would take a few days to heal. We're grateful that our first ER visit with Alexa wasn't worse.
***Ouchie's now been a week and a half since she hurt her arm and she's pretty well back to full use. She still favors it from time to time and still says she has a "boo-boo" but for the most part it's behind us.


Krista said...

I know how hard it can be to deal with trauma after child birth. I'm glad Alexa is doing better! You are such a good mommy!